Swarna Bhasma (incinerated gold), also known as Suvarna Bhasma, is a traditional Ayurvedic medicine that contains nano and colloidal gold particles. It has been used in India for centuries to treat rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and nervous system-related diseases. It is considered one of the most expensive medicines in Ayurveda because it contains up to 98% gold particles. The presence of gold in earlier times was observed to provide numerous therapeutic values like rejuvenator, aphrodisiac, and increase the longevity of life, etc.
The aphrodisiac property of Swarna Bhasma may help improve stamina, strength, low sperm count, and improve quality and quantity of semen. Its other properties also provide aid in treating various ailments including bronchial asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes mellitus, and nervous system diseases. It is also considered an excellent cardiac tonic. It is useful in general weakness, low blood pressure, and low pumping capacity of the heart.
Traditionally, Swarna Bhasma is believed to enhance immunity. It is also considered to have antioxidant and anti-aging effects. It is usually given orally mixed with honey, ghee, or milk.
Swarna Bhasma when taken in the prescribed dose and duration is considered safe for use. However, if you are suffering from any chronic disease, it would be best to avoid self-medication and consult a doctor before using Swarna Bhasma.
What are the synonyms of Swarna Bhasma?
Hema, Kanchana, Kanaka
What is the source of Swarna Bhasma?
Metal & Mineral based
How To Formulate Swarna Bhasma?
Suddha Subarna (Purified gold)
Suddha Gandhaka (Purified sulphur)
Suddha Parada (Purified mercury)
Eranda Patra (castor leaf)
Triturate purified gold and mercury are to form an amalgam.
Next place a castor leaf on an earthen crucible.
Make a bolus of the amalgam and equal proportion of purified suphur and keep it on the leaf.
On top of the bolus, place another castor leaf and cover it with another earthen crucible.
Cover the entire earthen pot with a mud-smeared cloth and place it in the calcination furnace.
Repeat the process (puta pak method) 13 more times to get mono atomic gold free of impurities.
Also Read : Benefits of Suvarnaprashan
BENEFITS OF SWARNA BHASMA
1. Weak immunity
Our immune system is the first line of defense against various infections. Reduced immunity can make you fall sick very easily. The concept of immunity has been described in detail in Ayurvedic texts as Vyadhikshamatva, and one such important Ayurvedic medicine that helps boost immunity is Swarna Bhasma. It helps fight against infections in the body and prevent recurrent seasonal infections. This is due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) property.
2. Loss of appetite
Poor appetite or decreased appetite occurs when you have a reduced desire to eat. In Ayurveda, loss of appetite is linked with Agnimandya (weak digestion). Loss of appetite is caused by an aggravation of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas. It could also result due to psychological factors, leading to incomplete digestion of food and causing insufficient secretion of gastric juice in the stomach.
All these factors play a characteristic role in the reduction of appetite. Swarna Bhasma helps to manage the loss of appetite, thirst, bloating, and flatulence. This is due to its Pachak Agni (digestive fire) boosting property which helps in digesting the food easily. These factors work in line to increase the food intake.
Take 15-30mg Swarna Bhasma per day or as directed by your physician
Mix with honey or ghee once or twice a day, preferably after meals
# To improve digestion and treat loss of appetite.
Memory loss or memory distortion is a common age-related condition. It is normal to forget things from time to time, and it is normal to become more forgetful as we age. But, some memory flaws can become more pronounced and persistent in some cases. According to Ayurveda, poor memory is caused due to inactivity of Kapha or aggravation of Vata dosha. Small doses of Swarna Bhasma when taken for the prescribed duration are known to increase the memory power because of its Vata balancing and Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties.
Take 15-30mg Swarna Bhasma per day or as directed by your physician
Mix with honey once or twice a day, preferably after meals
# To boost memory power.
4. Rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic inflammatory disorder that can affect more than just your joints. It is known as Amavata in Ayurveda. Amavata is a disease caused due to the imbalance of Vata dosha in the body. Along with imbalanced Vata, there is an accumulation of Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) in the joints. Amavata starts with a weak digestive fire and leads to the formation of Ama. It is carried to different parts of the body through Vata. This Ama, instead of getting absorbed in the body, gets accumulated in the joints. Swarna Bhasma helps to reduce excess Ama as it has Deepan (appetizer) property. This helps provide relief from the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis-like joint pain and swelling.
Take 15-30mg Swarna Bhasma per day or as directed by your physician
Mix with ghee once or twice a day, preferably after meals
# To get quick relief in rheumatoid arthritis.
5.Benefits of Swarna Bhasma as an Antioxidant:
Swarna Bhasma is a free radical scavenger, which means it consumes and removes free radicals from the body Several proteins and enzymes in our body help to minimize the production of reactive oxygen species (O2, OH, H2 O2, and so on). After oxidative assault with acetic acid, two essential enzymes, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase were assessed in two groups, Swarna Bhasma treated and control animals’, blood and/or liver homogenate. Swarna Bhasma increased SOD activity (267 percent in serum SOD and 75.8percent in liver homogenate, compared to the corresponding controls) and catalase activity (80 percent compared to control hemolysate). This could be linked to the patients’ improved pathophysiological status as well. 6 Via this free radical scavenging activity, it acts as an anti-oxidant and reduces inflammation.
6.Benefits of Swarna Bhasma on the Nervous System:
Traditional gold preparations used in Ayurveda and Unani medicine had anxiolytic, anti-depressive, and anticataleptic properties with a large margin of safety. In a study, treated animals showed a decrease in immobility time in the forced swimming test. They demonstrated a reduction in haloperidol-induced seizure scores. 6
Benefits of Swarna Bhasma for Pain:
The analgesic effects of Ayurvedic Swarna Bhasma, a calcined gold preparation, have been examined in various animal studies. Swarna bhasma was found to have analgesic efficacy in mice when tested using chemical, thermal, electrical, , and mechanical methods. Swarna bhasma is thought to have opioid-like action which reduces pain. 6
Benefits of Swarna Bhasma for Brain:
To assess brain damage due to poor bloody supply and its alterations, various enzyme parameters were used. Ayurvedic Swarna Bhasma significantly restored altered values to near-normal levels. This implies that gold preparations may have potential in cerebrovascular disorders. 6
Also Read : HEALTH BENEFITS OF WEARING GOLD JEWELLERY
PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING SWARNA BHASMA
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Enough evidence is not available to suggest its use while breastfeeding. Kindly consult your doctor before using it.
Patients with diabetes
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Swarna Bhasma may lower blood sugar levels, so it is generally advised to monitor your blood sugar level while using Swarna Bhasma along with antidiabetic medicines.
Patients with heart disease
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Patients on medication for hypertension should consult their doctor before using Swarna Bhasma
Swarna bhasma can cause kidney damage and hence it should be used with caution in patients suffering from kidney disease as it can cause further damage to the kidney.
People with known allergic reactions to gold should avoid using Swarna bhasma. 7
RECOMMENDED DOSAGE OF SWARNA BHASMA
- Swarna Bhasma Powder – 15-30mg Swarna Bhasma per day or as directed by your physician
HOW TO USE SWARNA BHASMA
- Swarna Bhasma is available in fine powder or tablet form.
- You can take 15-30mg Swarna Bhasma per day with honey or ghee, preferably after meals.
- However, if not sure, it would be advisable to consult a doctor and take the medication as prescribed.
- Gold was employed in traditional medicine (mostly Indian and Chinese) as Swarna Bhasma, Swarna Parpati, Swarna Patra, or red colloidal solution. In addition, gold is employed in Ayurvedic bhasmas in refined metallic fine powder (perhaps as nanoparticles) or red colloidal solution, both of which are made through sophisticated processes that include herbal extracts and even other metals. 6
- The three stages of shodhana, dravana, and marana are used in the preparation of Swarna Bhasma. First, the gold leaves are heated and then dipped in sesame (Sesamum indicum) oil until red hot. This process is repeated seven times in total. 5
- Next, buttermilk/urine, cow’s kulattha (Dolichous biflorus) decoction, kanji (sour gruel made from rice [Oryza sativa]), and radish decoction are used to prepare the tender leaves (Raphanus sativus). 5
- Finally, heat is used to dry the leaves. The mixture is finely grinded, and the resulting paste is dried in the sun. The final product is created by repeating the grinding and drying under sunlight process 7 to 14 times with new aliquots of latex. 4
Side Effects of Swarna Bhasma:
- Exfoliative dermatitis, a skin condition marked by skin peeling and inflammation, and oral ulceration were seen due to gold compounds that were used in modern medicine.
- Oral gold therapy shows self-limiting digestion-related symptoms such as diarrhoea.
- Several hematologic responses such as eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia, and aplastic anemia were reported when chrysotherapy (gold salt therapy) was used.
- After treatment with injected gold salts, the salts accumulate in the liver, spleen, kidney and other tissues. In addition, all gold compounds are linked to kidney toxicity due to immune complex deposition. 7
This magical golden formulation has been mentioned time and again in several ayurvedic scriptures as an ultimate remedy for cardiac anomalies, and even tuberculosis owing to its enormous therapeutic properties. Swarna Bhasma is classified as a potent cardiotonic, nootropic, hepatoprotective, antitoxin and immunomodulatory compound, and hence used for the treatment and management of neurological problems, upper respiratory tract infection, fever, infertility, skin disease and ultimately improves overall stamina and body immunity.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. What is Swarna Bhasma?
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Swarna Bhasma is a metal-based Ayurvedic preparation. It is used to treat various disorders and enhance immunity. Its existence and use in treating ailments can be seen in Indian, Arabic, and Chinese literature. From earlier times, it has been used to treat bronchial asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes mellitus, and nervous system diseases.
Q. Is Swarna Bhasma made of real gold?
AYURVEDIC VIEW Yes, Swarna Bhasma contains gold components. It is prepared through a process called Putapaka. In this, the gold is heated and quenched with various plant extracts.
Q. Can we make Swarna Bhasma at home?
AYURVEDIC VIEW Swarna Bhasma is made by using fine particles of pure gold by a specific Ayurvedic process. The method used for making Swarna Bhasma is quite complex and requires high precision. Therefore, it is advisable to take Swarna Bhasma from the market or from an Ayurvedic practitioner.
Q. Is it safe to take Swarna Bhasma?
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Studies on Swarna Bhasma suggest that the Swarna Bhasma is safe when it is used as per recommended dose and duration. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor before using any classical metal-based Ayurvedic preparations.
Q. Can Swarna Bhasma be used for skin problems?
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Swarna Bhasma has moisturizing effects on the body. It is Madhura in nature which may help rejuvenate the skin and keep skin glowing. However, enough evidence is not available to suggest its effectiveness on skin problems.
Q. How to use Swarna Bhasma?
AYURVEDIC VIEW Swarna Bhasma is available in fine powder or tablet form. You can take 15-30mg Swarna Bhasma per day with honey or ghee, preferably after meals. However, if not sure, it would be advisable to consult a doctor and take the medication as prescribed.
Q. Can I take Swarna Bhasma if I am taking health supplements?
AYURVEDIC VIEW Yes, you can take Swarna Bhasma with other herbal supplements. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor before using any herbal supplement along with Swarna Bhasma.
Q. How does Swarna Bhasma help improve health?
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Swarna Bhasma is an Ayurvedic preparation which is useful in treating conditions like general weakness, low blood pressure, and low pumping capacity of the heart. It also helps to improve low appetite and digestion. It can also be used to enhance memory, intelligence and is useful in nervous weakness as well as neuropathy caused by diabetes.
Q. Is Swarna Bhasma beneficial for erectile dysfunction?
MODERN SCIENCE VIEW Swarna Bhasma has aphrodisiac properties which help to improve stamina, strength, low sperm count, and improve quality and quantity of semen. It also helps to clear the yellowness in semen, treat erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, and infertility in men.
Q. Can Swarna bhasma be used for arthritis?
In patients with rheumatoid arthritis, the effect of gold salt treatment has been investigated. When rheumatoid arthritis patients who were already receiving gold therapy were compared to those who had previously been treated or those who had never had this therapy, lower synovial fluid substance P levels (an inflammation related chemical) were seen, though not statistically significant. 2 Thus, use of Swarna bhasma in arthritis is not proven.
Q. How is gold used in detection of cancer?
Gold nanoparticles cling to cancer cells. They sparkle and are excellent at dispersing and absorbing light. This helps in quicker detection of cancer cells using gold. Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) is a protein found in many cancer cells. They have Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) all over their body. Usually, healthy cells do not usually express the protein in the same way. 6
- Biswas s, Chawda M, Thakur K, Gudi R, Bellare J. Physicochemical Variation in Nanogold Based Ayurved Medicine Suvarna Bhasma Produced by Various Manufacturers Lead to Different In Vivo Bioaccumulation Profiles. J Evid-Based Integr Med. 2021. 
- Patel MK, Archana, Lalchand, Netam N, Parhate S. VAS ANTKUSUMAKAR RASA – “A BEST ANTIDIABETIC DRUG IN MODERN ERA”: A REVIEW. Int Ayur Med J. 
- Paul W and Sharma CP. Blood compatibility studies of Swarna bhasma (gold bhasma), an Ayurvedic drug. Int J Ayurveda Res. 2011 Jan-Mar; 2(1): 14–22. 
- Nelaturi P, Nagarajan P, Sabapathy SK and Sambandam R. Swarna Bindu Prashana—an Ancient Approach to Improve the Infant’s Immunity. Biol Trace Elem Res. volume 199, pages 2145–2148 (2021).
- Pal, D., Sahu, C. K., & Haldar, A. (2014). Bhasma : The ancient Indian nanomedicine. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 5(1), 4–12. https://doi.org/10.4103/2231-4040.126980.
- Singh, N. & Chaudhary, Anand. (2012). Swarna Bhasma and gold compounds: An innovation of pharmaceutics for illumination of therapeutics. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy. 3. 5-9.a.
- Jamadagni, Pallavi & Jamadagni, Shrirang & Singh, Arjun & Singh, Rajendra & Upadhyay, Sachchidanand & Gaidhani, Sudesh & Hazra, Jayram. (2015). Toxicity Study of Swarna Bhasma,an Ayurvedic Medicine Containing Gold,in Wistar Rats. Toxicology International. 22. 11-17. 10.22506/ti/2015/v22/i3/137618.
Disclaimer: The information included at this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.